European Cyclists’ Federation (ECF) has had, since its foundation in 1983, one goal: To promote cycling as a sustainable and healthy means of transportation and recreation. Its roots are in Europe, but the challenges they face are global. ECF believe the bicycle is a solution to many of the world’s woes and therefore have an ambition to export both ours and our members’ expertise worldwide.
ECF aims and objectives are to:
- Raise the status of cycling and to promote recognition of the benefits of cycling for both individuals and society as a whole.
- Encourage consideration of cyclists’ needs in Europe in all aspects of transport planning and management, environment, safety and health, and promote cycle-friendly conditions throughout Europe.
- Support member groups on matters of national and international importance relating to the aims of the ECF.
- Undertake research on matters relating to cycling, transportation, environment and safety.
- Enhance the information and advice available to member groups and thus assist in their activities nationally and internationally.
- Promote the exchange of information and expertise between member organisations.
- Provide information and expertise in order to raise the awareness of specific groups: international bodies and institutions, politicians, planners, manufacturers/trade groups, bicycle holiday agents/tourism authorities, environmental and transport groups with regard to cycling and its benefits and needs